Believe it or not, but water damage is the most common claim made on home insurance in Australia. There are numerous sources of water damage; they can be a result of extreme weather conditions or a natural calamity such as floods, snow storms, heavy rainfall, or burst pipes due to freezing temperatures. At times, homeowners are also to blame for damage caused by overflowing sink or tub.
Whatever the source, if you have ever experienced water damage you know how challenging clean-up of carpets can be. Water damage not only destroys the delicate fabric and fibres of carpet, but also leaves a foul lingering odour.
Why a Foul Odour in Carpets is Unhealthy
After the preliminary steps of mopping excess water, disposing off carpeting which cannot be restored, and drying the remnants, you might believe that your job is finished. However, you can’t afford to be lenient when it comes to water damage in carpets. Significant threat continues to loom over your family until the bad smell of carpet is removed entirely.
The foul odour oozing from a water damaged carpet indicates high risk of mould and mildew infestation. Damp carpets make perfect environment for mould and mildew to thrive; where they can spread like a forest fire, causing damage to both your carpet and family. Mould growth increases the risk of early decay in carpet padding and floorboards. In addition to that, it poses a significant health risk to your family by releasing allergic pathogens in air. Mould and mildew infestation aggravate respiratory problems like asthma. They release air-borne fungal spores which weakens the immune system and increases the risk of catching a virus or infection. Foul odour in Flood Water Damaged Carpet is not just another bad smell – it’s an indicator of threat to your health and property.
Foul Odour in Different Carpet Fabrics
Carpets are usually available in four basic types of fabric, namely, wool, olefin, polyester, and nylon.
- Wool carpets are well-known for their natural lustre and environment-friendly traits. They are designed and constructed to stay in shape for a long period of time. However, they are resistant to neither liquid nor dust, making them hard to clean and maintain.
- Olefin carpets are water resistant. They make a great choice for premises which receive a lot of sunlight. They have excellent mould and moisture resistance qualities which makes them best for damp basements and outdoor carpeting.
- Polyester carpets are best known for their imperial feel and look. They can be found in a myriad of colours, sizes, and shapes.
- Nylon is a cheap and durable fabric for carpets. It has the highest resistance to wear and tear among all carpet fabrics. Quality nylon carpets are also stain resistant and come with pre-coated protective guards.
If cleaning and maintenance is not a problem for you, we recommend polyester and wool carpeting. You can get rid of foul odour in them by hiring a Local Flood Water Damage Restoration Melbourne service in every three to four months. On the other hand, nylon and olefin carpeting are a great choice for homeowners with pets and kids as they don’t produce foul odour as much as wool and polyester carpeting.
How to Get Rid of Carpet Odour After Water Damage
Fortunately, the foul odour lurking in your carpet after water damage is not inoperable. There are numerous practical and easy steps you can take yourself to curtail the smell and enhance the overall ambience of your premises.
- Open all windows and doors as soon as you spot signs of water damage in carpets. It will allow dry air to circulate more freely through the fabric and speed up the process of drying.
- You can also use dehumidifiers and air movers if you have access to them. They absorb excess moisture in the surroundings. This can be helpful if it is raining outside.
- Quick drying prevents foul odour by reducing the time available for mould and mildew to thrive.
- Mix one part of vinegar with two parts of clean water to create an anti-bacterial solution. Spray the affected areas with this solution to prevent mould and remove bacteria.
These steps can help you prevent and alleviate foul odour in carpets to some extent, but they are not adequate to prevent long term damage. In order to restore your carpet back to its pristine condition you need to hire professional carpet restoration services.
Employ Us for Safe and Affordable Flood Water Damage Restoration Services
Squeaky Green Clean team of trained and certified technicians are capable of banishing foul odour for good within 24 hours. If you wish to ensure that mould and foul smell is removed permanently from your water damaged carpet, call our experts today! At Squeaky Green Clean, we have a team of highly trained technicians with more than 20 years of experience and certification from IICRC to provide carpet restoration services.
Squeaky Green Clean can provide professional cleaning for all types of carpet ranging from durable nylon to oriental rugs. Our experts treat every carpet carefully using a wide range of industrial tools and equipment, providing a quality of service which no other company can offer. Call us today to Book an Appointment and get a free quote of our services. You can also get in touch with our team by filling out the small contact form on the right side of your screen. Our experts will get back to you in no time at all.